Day: July 21, 2005

  • Nokia 6682: Finally!

    It’s a little past Q2, but that’s okay, because according to Russ, the 6682 is available directly from Nokia USA. It definitely has the early adopter tax applied to it, weighing in at about 600 bucks.

    I’m hoping that Cingular (or more likely) Let’s Talk or another reseller has it in stock so I can pick one up on contract (and hopefully at least take a couple hundred bucks off the list price). I really wish that I was in the position to drop $600 on this phone that I’ve been waiting for since it was announced, but that’s just not in the cards. Too much talk and not enough action on my part I guess. I am hoping to pick it up as soon as I can on contract, so I should be somewhere behind the affluent early adopters but before the masses.

    Thanks for getting this one out the door Nokia, I look forward to snagging one.


    I just re-read this post and I realized that it comes across a bit cranky. Sorry about that, yesterday was a long day.

    According to the specs and what I’ve heard the 6682 is an awesome little phone. When I snagged my 3650 (again, after Russ but before most of the American blogosphere picked up on how much it rocked) list price was probaly close to if not at $600. Lucky for me it had been out just long enough to be free after rebates through Amazon.

    Oh, 6682, you will be mine soon enough…

  • Django: Trivial Patch

    Last night I ran across a deprecation warning when running startproject <projectname>, so I went to file a ticket but found that someone else had experienced the same problem. I looked at the solution, and on the surface it looked like the fix involved replacing from whrandom import choice to from random import choice. Indeed that was all it took, so I submitted a (trivial) patch and continued to bang on Django a bit more.

    That trivial patch made me really wish that there were unit tests for Django. I would have felt a lot better knowing that after applying my patch n tests still passed with flying colors. Without a test framework in place, I really had no idea if my trivial search and replace broke something. It’s possible that somewhere in the code was really expecting some behavior specific to whrandom that was just slightly different than the behavior of random.

    I’m going to hunt around for other little trivial fixes that don’t require carnal knowledge of the codebase and submit patches if I can come up with a fix. At the same time I hope that Nelson’s test suite ticket gets noticed. I wouldn’t mind doing some of the dirty work once a framework is in place, but as always I defer to Adrian and the core Django team when it comes to policy and implementation.