Busy making things: tinycast, github, links, photos, @mc.

Nokia N800 and camera.py

Posted: February 4th, 2007 | Author: | Filed under: Linux, Mobile, Open Source, Python | 43 Comments »

Nokia N800 and camera.py

I received my Nokia N800 yesterday and have been enjoying how zippy it is compared to the 770 (which has been getting faster with every firmware upgrade).. I got a chance to play with the browser while waiting for my wife at the airport and have been poking around to see how Bora is different than Mistral and Scirocco.

One of the bigger physical differences between the 770 an N800 is the onboard camera. I haven’t set up Nokia Internet Call Invitation yet but I looked around for some camera code samples and was pleasantly suprised. Luckily Nokia is one step ahead of me with camera.py, an example program to show what the camera sees on the screen. It looks like some bindings are missing so saving an image from the camera is off limits at the moment but this is a great start.

To run the above example on your N800, grab camera.py, install Python and osso-xterm, and run camera.py from the console.

It’s time to dust off the Python Maemo tutorial and get my feet wet.

Update: I’ve also been playing with the c version of the camera example code and have managed to get it running and taking pictures after building it in scratchbox and running it with run-standalone.sh ./camera.

43 Comments on “Nokia N800 and camera.py”

1. 1 Richard Schecter said at 7:36 pm on February 9th, 2007:

Will you share how you got the camera to take photos. It there an easy way for someone to get it (me) without knowing the computer language? Thanks,
    Trusty

2. 2 Tony said at 3:30 pm on July 30th, 2007:

So, have you written any cool Python apps for your n800 yet?

I just ordered mine, and I’ve been reading the API docs. I figure Python won’t be that hard to learn (I already program VB (sorry), Pascal and PHP.) In fact I wrote a hello world app today in Python just to see it in action.

3. 3 99d2e8c406f9 said at 1:44 am on May 16th, 2008:

99d2e8c406f9…

99d2e8c406f90fc8e06a…

4. 4 Antoine Shimshak said at 2:40 pm on November 8th, 2010:

This domain appears to recieve a large ammount of visitors. How do you get traffic to it? It offers a nice unique spin on things. I guess having something real or substantial to say is the most important factor.

5. 5 turk video said at 2:12 pm on November 24th, 2010:

very good \o/

6. 6 inflatable canoes said at 11:55 pm on November 25th, 2010:

Feed a cold, starve a fever. – American Proverb

7. 7 metin2 said at 11:26 pm on December 1st, 2010:

very good \o/

8. 8 home page said at 12:21 am on December 7th, 2010:

I’ve been looking towards checking out this approach also. Nice read.

9. 9 Blog About Train Horns said at 11:25 am on December 25th, 2010:

When I open up your Rss feed it appears to be to be a lot of nonsense, is the problem on my side?

10. 10 weight loss pill reviews said at 11:48 pm on January 19th, 2011:

Thanks for making the trustworthy attempt to speak about this. I believe very strong approximately it and want to learn more. If it’s OK, as you acquire more extensive knowledge, could you thoughts including more articles similar to this one with more information? It will be extremely helpful and helpful for me and my friends.

11. 11 Carl Oveson said at 7:38 pm on January 20th, 2011:

It is hard to fight an enemy who has outposts in your head. -Sally Kempton

12. 12 QROPS said at 2:08 am on January 21st, 2011:

I picture this might be diverse upon the written content material? even so I still imagine that it is usually appropriate for just about any type of subject material, as a result of it will continuously be gratifying to decide a heat and delightful face or possibly listen a voice while preliminary landing.

13. 13 Online Coupons said at 11:11 am on January 21st, 2011:

I am speechless. This can be a very good weblog and really enticing too. Great work! That’s not truly a lot coming from an newbie writer like me, but it’s all I could say after diving into your posts. Nice grammar and vocabulary. No longer like other blogs. You truly realize what you?re speaking about too. Such a lot that you simply made me need to explore more. Your blog has turn out to be a stepping stone for me, my friend.

14. 14 San antonio bouncehouse said at 12:56 pm on January 21st, 2011:

I love the precious information you offer to your articles. I can bookmark your blog and have my youngsters take a look at up right here generally. I am reasonably sure they’re going to be told quite a lot of new stuff right here than any one else!

15. 15 Bankruptcy Lawyer NYC said at 12:08 pm on January 22nd, 2011:

I have been reading your entries right through my morning break, and I should admit the whole article has been very enlightening and rather well written. I thought I would allow you to realize that for a few explanation why this blog does now not view well in Web Explorer 8. I desire Microsoft might forestall changing their software. I’ve a query for you. May you thoughts replacing blog roll links? That will be actually neat!

16. 16 Hip Hop Music said at 6:45 am on January 23rd, 2011:

Thanks for making the trustworthy attempt to explain this. I feel very strong approximately it and want to learn more. If it’s OK, as you attain more in depth knowledge, might you thoughts including more posts similar to this one with additional info? It would be extraordinarily useful and helpful for me and my colleagues.

17. 17 salt free water said at 11:17 pm on January 23rd, 2011:

Thanks for making the trustworthy attempt to speak about this. I believe very strong approximately it and want to read more. If it’s OK, as you gain more extensive wisdom, might you thoughts including extra articles similar to this one with more information? It would be extremely helpful and useful for me and my friends.

18. 18 NY Bankruptcy Lawyer said at 11:48 am on January 24th, 2011:

Thank you for making the sincere strive to give an explanation for this. I think very sturdy approximately it and wish to be told more. If it’s OK, as you attain extra extensive wisdom, may you thoughts including more posts very similar to this one with more information? It will be extraordinarily useful and useful for me and my colleagues.

19. 19 dead space 2 cheats said at 1:59 am on January 25th, 2011:

Ordinary this submit is totaly unrelated to what I was searching google for, but it surely was indexed on the first page. I assume your doing one thing proper if Google likes you adequate to position you on the first page of a non comparable search.

20. 20 buy propecia said at 2:05 am on January 25th, 2011:

In it something is. I will know, many thanks for an explanation.

21. 21 tutoring sydney said at 3:22 am on January 26th, 2011:

i want to get educated on how to write this type of brilliant blog articles and get just as many audience and comments, my blog does not have any traffic.

22. 22 baseball trading pins said at 1:09 am on January 27th, 2011:

Thanks for making the sincere strive to provide an explanation for this. I think very robust about it and wish to be informed more. If it’s OK, as you reach extra in depth knowledge, could you mind adding more posts similar to this one with more information? It would be extraordinarily useful and helpful for me and my colleagues.

23. 23 BLACKSTONE Cigars said at 4:01 am on January 27th, 2011:

Hello, I simply hopped over to your website by means of StumbleUpon. No longer one thing I’d generally read, however I appreciated your emotions none the less. Thank you for making something worth reading.

24. 24 english tuition said at 5:34 am on January 27th, 2011:

Thanks so much !

25. 25 custom dog tags said at 2:07 am on January 28th, 2011:

I image this may well be diverse upon the written content? nevertheless I still consider that it is usually appropriate for nearly any type of matter material, as a result of it will frequently be gratifying to determine a warm and delightful face or perhaps pay attention a voice while initial landing.

26. 26 webpage said at 6:21 am on February 1st, 2011:

Awsome website! I am loving it!! Will be back later to read some more. I am taking your feeds also

27. 27 NYC Movers said at 1:07 pm on February 2nd, 2011:

City move can be and should be an easy process. With Manhattan Movers NYC it start with call to our office! No hidden costs, no surprices! Call us. We serve Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens – all NYC. Manhattan Movers NYC, 553 Broome St, New York, NY 10013, (212)300-6628

28. 28 New Zealand QROPS said at 11:56 am on February 4th, 2011:

Whats up, I just hopped over for your site by means of StumbleUpon. Not one thing I’d usually learn, but I favored your feelings none the less. Thank you for making one thing price reading.

29. 29 mazda radio said at 10:31 am on February 5th, 2011:

I picture this may well be diverse upon the written content material? however I still imagine that it can be appropriate for virtually any form of matter subject matter, because it will continuously be fulfilling to resolve a heat and delightful face or perhaps pay attention a voice whilst initial landing.

30. 30 engagement rings sydney said at 9:48 pm on February 5th, 2011:

I just cant stop reading this. Its so cool, so full of information and facts that I just didnt know. Im glad to find out that quite a few are truly writing about this difficulty in such a smart way, showing us all numerous sides to it. Youre a fantastic blogger. Please maintain it up. I cant wait to look over whats next.

31. 31 try vigrx plus said at 2:06 am on February 6th, 2011:

Thanks for making the trustworthy effort to discuss this. I think very sturdy about it and would like to learn more. If it’s OK, as you gain more in depth wisdom, may you thoughts adding extra articles very similar to this one with additional info? It could be extremely useful and helpful for me and my friends.

32. 32 Justin Bieber said at 5:30 pm on February 8th, 2011:

I discovered a related put up on a completely different blog and did not rather get it, but this posting explains it improved. Take pleasure in it!

33. 33 Steven Seagal said at 6:52 pm on February 8th, 2011:

I honestly like your post written content the way you set up the things…I’ve peruse the matter with perfect interest.

34. 34 Dell said at 8:05 pm on February 8th, 2011:

We loved your writing style,  keep at it for us all!

35. 35 pioneer vsx-1020-k review said at 6:59 am on February 9th, 2011:

Thank you for making the honest strive to explain this. I believe very strong approximately it and want to be told more. If it’s OK, as you reach extra in depth wisdom, could you mind adding extra posts very similar to this one with additional info? It might be extraordinarily useful and useful for me and my colleagues.

36. 36 cell jamming said at 11:32 am on February 11th, 2011:

Good issues?I’d be aware that as any individual who in reality doesn’t write on blogs so much (actually, this can be my first post), I don’t think the term ‘lurker’ could be very changing into to a non-posting reader. It’s no longer your fault the least bit , but in all probability the blogosphere may come up with a greater, non-creepy identify for the 90% folks that revel in reading the content .

37. 37 Lady Gaga said at 11:38 am on February 11th, 2011:

Congratulations.. Keep up the excellent work!

38. 38 Justin Bieber said at 3:05 pm on February 11th, 2011:

nice, i’ll be back soon

39. 39 Twilight said at 4:31 pm on February 11th, 2011:

Really enjoy you enthusiasm on this fairly complicated subject matter.

40. 40 zero friction marketing said at 5:57 am on February 12th, 2011:

You completed various nice points there. I did a search on the topic and found most people will go along with with your blog.

41. 41 zero friction marketing said at 5:07 pm on February 12th, 2011:

You made several good points there. I did a search on the topic and found a good number of persons will have the same opinion with your blog.

42. 42 tory-burch-new-arrival said at 4:08 am on February 14th, 2011:

cheap tory burch shoes …

Tory Burch flip flop online sale.For the younger working expat women,look at these tory burch Shoes.these tory burch flip flop are definitely fun,yet the glossy design and round-toe stay these lovely.These tory burch shoes with multiple.New arrivel Tor…

43. 43 web hosting india said at 2:26 am on February 18th, 2011:

I picture this might be numerous upon the written content material? in spite of this I still consider that it may be suitable for nearly any form of matter subject matter, because it would continuously be pleasant to determine a warm and delightful face or perhaps pay attention a voice when preliminary landing.