Busy making things: tinycast, github, links, photos, @mc.

Scuttle the Shuttle?

Posted: August 14th, 2005 | Author: | Filed under: Weblogs | 10 Comments »

It may be painful to be left without a means for Americans to get in to space (aside from bumming a ride on a Soyuz), but something needs to be done and quick. I would hate to see the shuttle fleet mothballed immediately, but that might just be the best thing for space travel in general. This AFP story on Yahoo! News puts in to words a lot of thoughts I’ve been having about the shuttle program lately.

At this point in the game plan we’re going to be without our own means in to space between 2010 when the shuttle program finally expires and 2014, the earliest that I could imagine the CEV and cargo carriers might be ready. Here’s what NASA engineer Homer Hicham has to say:

“The space shuttle is … never going to be reliable no matter how much money, time and engineering careers your throw at it. Let’s put the shuttle on the shelf right away and give engineers the gift of designing new ships to carry humans into space,” he said

The current next-gen plan seems like a duct tape solution, but given the time and budget restraints I don’t see an alternative. All of this stuff is a total downer for a sci-fi geek like me, and I’m just hoping that China announces serious plans to put a man on Mars by 2020. Short of something like that I don’t see us taking space exploration very seriously at all.

*Sigh*

10 Comments on “Scuttle the Shuttle?”

1. 1 aliasgar said at 7:42 am on July 3rd, 2008:

hello ,
    i am very much inspired by homer hicham, how he took efforts to to build the rocket.
    i want an email address of homer hicham

2. 2 erafinepacfl said at 8:01 am on September 28th, 2009:

тесты игры для детей музыка 2009 новинки прослушать онлайн бесплатный софт музыка кино скачать бесплатно клип st скачать игру город магии

3. 3 Yoppi Do said at 11:44 am on January 28th, 2010:

Short of something like that
    I don’t see us taking space exploration very seriously at all.

4. 4 maksim said at 3:52 am on October 24th, 2010:

Заработок на сателитах
    Заработок на каталогах
    заработок на баннерах
    Файлообменники
    Заработок на тизерах.
    Заработок на Блогуне
    Автонаполняемый блог
    Заработок на wap
    Заработок на СМС
    Продажа трафика
    Софт для сбора бонусов
    заработок на фотохостинге

5. 5 check for backlinks said at 12:03 am on December 16th, 2010:

Numerous folks that personal a truck use it a whole lot for work associated situations, if this sounds like you then you may have the kind of career that needs you to do a whole lot of dirty work, meaning operating in all types of weather, rain or shine. Your truck will most likely get dirty on the within and exterior with mud. This is why it is essential that you have floor mats in your truck to hold your carpet from obtaining dirty or stained. It is definitely worth the investment to purchase some excessive excellent flooring mats.

6. 6 TyHqNWCI said at 9:36 am on February 1st, 2011:

FyChEgy

7. 7 alte rubensfrauen said at 3:51 pm on February 2nd, 2011:

Hi, how are you? cos i absolutely love your unique blog, I woudl be glad to publish a adorable review about your awesome wordpress blog on my little Cooking Website http://www.fette-fotzen-chat.de would you allow me to? Kind regards

8. 8 mydirtyhobby livecams said at 9:17 pm on February 2nd, 2011:

Several men and women that own a truck use it a lot for function related situations, if this sounds like you then you may have the sort of position that needs you to do a great deal of dirty perform, meaning functioning in all sorts of weather conditions, rain or shine. Your truck will most likely get dirty on the inside and exterior with mud. This is why it is crucial that you have ground mats in your truck to keep your carpet from getting dirty or stained. It is surely really worth the investment to purchase some higher top quality flooring mats.

9. 9 teresa said at 6:38 pm on February 7th, 2011:

Found your weblog and decided to have a very quick study, Not what I do, but this blog is wonderful. Awesome to see a Blog for a change that isn?t full of spam and rubbish, and understandable. Great job

10. 10 fheiffh said at 1:51 am on February 11th, 2011:

Strange this post is totaly irrelevant to the search query I entered in google but it was listed on the first page. Man, I truly loved reading your blogpost. You have convinced me a subscription to your blog, but where can I discover the Feed?